Wednesday 28 November 2012

Get There How You Can

Get There How You Can

I remember the day I surrendered my Life to Christ, It was not a pretty sight.  As an adult I was never a churchgoer, I wasn’t interested in what was being said there but on that day I was in church, I was sitting at the back of the church and the minister was preaching and God called me through her message.  He said to me “I am calling you, I want to heal you” and I knew that I had to stand up and go to Him.  When I stood up I was strong, my legs were firmly planted and I was a man but by the time I took the first step to the altar, I was a child.  I was weak, tears and sweat covered me.  I couldn’t walk strongly, I was not in control of my strength; I was weak but I knew that I had to get there.  The enemy didn’t want me to get there.  I was a man of pride; I had a reputation to uphold.  I didn’t want anyone seeing me in that state, vulnerable, broken, crying in public, shaking but God said come to me just as you are and I will renew you, I will strengthen you (Isaiah 1:18).  Trust Me and step out onto the water and you will be able to walk on the water (Matthew 14:29).  He said I will transform you and make you do things that will amaze people and they will know that it’s Me, they will see Me and My work in you and My name will be glorified, they will know that I am God (Exodus 29:46).  He saved me from this world and heaven rejoiced. 
God is calling you to him through His son Jesus by any means and He wants you to get to Him however you can.  He will bless and transform your life no matter how you come to Him (Mark 2:4) as long as you get there.  It’s not God’s desire for you to be broken, battered or suffering.  He is glorified when you are made whole.  He wants to prosper you and He can only do that when you come to Him.  Prosperity makes Him smile.
He wants us to come to Him however we can.  Some of us will have to get there with one leg missing and the other dragging; with a shrivelled hand (Luke 6:6); blind (Mark 8 22-25); with lifelong issues (Luke 8:43); dead (John 11:38-53); poor (1 Kings 17:7-24).  He wants to heal us of whatever is holding us back.  He will accept us in whatever state we arrive in; just get to Him.  Shout and beg if you have to (Mark 1:40-45); climb a tree (Luke 19:1-10).  Jesus himself had to get to the cross however He could.  He was whipped, stoned, ridiculed but He knew He had to get there.  He had to bear the burden on His journey but He knew He had to get there no matter what it took, no matter the embarrassment, the humiliation, the pain, the shame.  It was a long journey but He knew He had to make that journey because what was waiting for Him was far greater than anything He could suffer along the way.

We will have to go through some things, we will have to suffer and be shamed but it’s only a journey to what’s waiting for us.  Jesus could have easily decided that He didn’t want to carry the cross that He didn’t want to be embarrassed, humiliated, hurt or go all the way.  What if He’d let His pride dictate His journey?  Where would we be today?  That’s what we do.  We decide not to go on because we don’t want to be embarrassed, shamed, ridiculed or walk the distance and subsequently we divert our journey to our destiny.  Yes the pain sometimes may seem unbearable but God never gives us more than we can cope with. Our troubles are not new and exclusive to us (1 Corinthians 10:13) and when we are weak He will be strong for us (Isaiah 41:10)

The journey will be long, it will be hard but you will be filled with the strength and peace that only God through His son Jesus Christ can give to you.  Call on the Lord through your struggles, through your pain and He will answer you.  Even Jesus had to call out onto the Lord in His pain and submitted it to Him (Matthew 27:50).  On your journey you will suffer, you will hurt, you will be ridiculed but Jesus already conquered it all for you.  It’s already been dealt with – you’re on your way to ultimate Joy.
Take up your cross, suffer the shame, feel the pain, drag, crawl, run, climb but Get There How You Can...He is calling you, He is waiting. You just need to get there

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another touching and emotional life changing story from you. God love taking people like you and making them great fishers of men for his purpose. Your story will change lives and win souls for our Lord and Master. I praise His name every day for your life and your life testimony you continually share with everyone. Bless x

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment. The past 8 years has been a real journey but the Lord has shown himself and brought me a mighty long way. I'm humbled and so glad the Lord has given me victory and a testimony to share.

Unknown said...

God has always known your heart, and he never let you go, he was just waiting for you to recognise the need for change, the need to evolve as a man and not of this world but to know your place and position as a man of god that he saw in your mother's womb. I cried when you described your walk to the altar now that's a journey of indescribable courage, but you felt the calling and you were obedient and the rest is history. And yes you are still on a journey and that will never stop. Everyday will present challenges or gifts, its how you perceive it, and nothing is a weakness in gods eyes, only a time to mould,shape and make you rise like the eagle and soar high above mountains.“Without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6.

Anonymous said...

Christ is our example. He went ahead bearing his cross and facing huge opposition. Why should I cry when someone dis me. Why should I moan cos I can't park my car. Or cos I missed my train. Or I had no time 4 lunch. Or I feel a little cold or a little hot. Or I could eat that cream cake. Or my boss was rude to me or my kids room is untidy. Or my dinner is not ready or burnt or I have nothing to wear to that club or I'm a little overweight or underweight. Or I ve got odd socks on!!!! Man Christ did not complain when nails were driven in to his body. I need to get a grip and follow the example set by my master. Thankyou Carl. Jerry

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Carl, thank you for sharing your heart....