Saturday 22 December 2012

Get The Monkey Off Your Back

Get The Monkey Off Your Back

We all have monkeys on our backs that hinder us from winning the race.  Athletes training for a race have monkeys on their backs they need to get off during their training period; they need to shed weight, change their sleep pattern, moderate their sexual life and adjust their diets, they have to drop some things, get the monkeys of their backs.

When I became a Christian I had to get many monkeys off my back. I had to change my speech, my circle of friends, the places I frequented. I had to trade bad habits for good habits. There was lots of monkeys on my back when I came to know the Lord but I began by not taking things for granted and just simply started thanking the Lord for my meals; each time I sat down to eat I thanked Him and asked Him to bless my meal; The first thing I did each morning as I awoke was to thank Him for waking me up and asked Him to direct me throughout the day; to take charge of my thoughts and actions.  Very small things can make quantum changes and I still do these small things

We all have things in our lives that hold us back and slow us down from getting to where we need to be, unnecessary weight, some little some big, unnecessary burdens dissipating our strength but The Apostle Paul teaches us that in order to run a good race we will need to strip of every weight that slows us down (Hebrews 12:1).  By shedding weight – getting the monkeys off your back, you gain strength. You become more focused, free and able to run faster. What monkeys do you need to get off you back? Are you carrying the guilt of a past life? Does your private life line up with your public life? Are you faithful to your Spirit or to your flesh? Getting the monkeys off your back is necessary to bring your spirit and your flesh into alignment.  They will never be in total agreement but they can align (Galatians 5:16). 

As Christians we have to know what to do and when to do what. Even our prayer life has to reflect Gods will.  We are running a race and God is the prize. Run the race to win the prize. Every successful athlete or businessman had to seek assistance to get rid of the monkeys on their backs that was hindering them from getting to where they wanted to be.  Ask God for assistance – Lord help me to not get entangled so as to distract me from the prize; bless or break every situation (Genesis 12:3); give me discernment to know what is of you (Psalm 119:125); Lord get the monkeys off my back!  Do not be afraid to ask (Philippians 4:6).

As Christians running the race, God will give you the strength to carry on but you will have to renew your mind and make some changes.You can’t put new wine in old wine skins (Matthew 9:17).When God is pouring His Spirit into you, you have to be ready. You have to be strong enough to get the monkey off your back.You will get tired, worn out, weary and that’s when the enemy comes to tempt you, to trick you into believing you are not strong enough to get them off but your strength lies in the Lord (Philippians 4:13 & Psalms 28:7).God works in you giving you the desire to carry on (Philippians 2:13-16). He will help you to get the monkeys off your back and at the end of the race He will reward you, He will say “Well done good and faithful servant”. (Matthew 25:21).

Get the monkeys off your back!!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

To know thyself is to know me in the darkness, for within that , that is where i grow, that is where i let go, that is where i develop, i become stronger, wiser, i gain a discerning heart, i gain love, for the love that is in him, is now in me, for i took that, to bring me through to let go of people, of things, so i become one with god, to know him fully, to know myself, to know someone else, who is equally yoked like me, and to those that are not to be the hand of friendship, to bring life to his living word, so that whoever i meet along my journey they will know i am sent from him.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Quote: 'to take charge of my thoughts and actions. Very small things can make quantum changes and I still do these small things', stood out the most for me in this message. I try to discipline and renew my mind daily with the word knowing that in time through diligence and perseverance I will see the fruit of my labour, it's tough dying to the flesh, but how much more rewarding is it when you come out the other side and that monkey is off your back! This is just another encouraging reminder to me that I need to keep going and never give up!

Anonymous said...

Very motivational keep this up I like all the posts so far look forward to see more

Liz